Despite the controversy regarding PSA based screening for prostate cancer, the fact remains that prostate cancer is a leading cancer for men as far as incidence and mortality. This disease is also the cause of much suffering in the world.
I'm pleased to see President Obama issue a proclamation yesterday acknowledging the burden of prostate cancer on American men, their families, and the healthcare system.
I urge my readers to check out this statement and spread the word about September being Prostate Cancer Awareness month.
Here are some suggestions for the month:
- Attend an educational event in your area about prostate cancer
- Consider a donation to a prostate cancer related charity
- Raise money to support prostate cancer research
- Talk to your doctor about prostate cancer
- Talk to a family member or someone you know with prostate cancer and give him your support
If you have any other suggestions to support prostate cancer awareness please drop in a comment!