Monday, May 28, 2012

Caricatures of men's health in the media

I just read an interesting article on KevinMD regarding men's health issues on TV.

If you read the comments after the article, I chimed in on the piece, but also wanted to drop it in my blog because I think it's quite topical with Men's Health Week coming up.

My comments:
Great article, Joel.  As a urologist who deals with the conditions you referenced, I can relate to the lack of respect for male health at times in the media.  There needs to be more constructive awareness of men's health concerns from reputable medical professionals, not just caricatures and off colored jokes.
Here is a challenge. When is Men's Health Week?  Answer - The week up to an including Father's Day (June 11 - June 17, 2012). I doubt that most in the blogosphere knew of such a celebration. 
It is up to us in medicine to get out there and increase advocacy for male health concerns!

No comments:

Post a Comment